Welcome to Chicopee Public Schools Health Services
"You cannot educate an unhealthy child and you cannot keep an uneducated child healthy." -Dr. M. Jocelyn Elders, former US Surgeon General.
Health care services are provided by Registered Nurses in each of our 15 schools. Our mission is to work with students, families, schools and the community to provide excellent care, promote optimal health, wellness and academic success for all students in the Chicopee Public School District.
Chicopee Nursing Supervisor Karen Turmel RN BSN MEd
Tel. 413-594-3471 FAX: 413-594-3500
Optimal learning requires good emotional and physical health. Chicopee Public Schools Health Services works together with families and the community for children’s health. The School Nurse at each school works with the school administrator to provide an environment that promotes optimal wellness and safety for all students. The school nurse provides individualized quality health care for students, emphasizes health education at all levels and utilizes available community and school resources to promote an overall healthy lifestyle for students, staff and families.
Health Services involve:
- conducting health screenings
- providing specialized health care and services
- assessing and evaluating individual growth and development
- monitoring of students immunizations
- acting as a resource for faculty, parents and students
- providing individual health counseling to service emotional and physical health needs
- identifying and referring possible pediatric and adolescent health problems for early diagnosis and treatment
- evaluating and monitoring communicable diseases
- acting as special education team member for children with special needs.
- serving as a liaison with parents and community health agencies
- providing educational and promotional activities for healthy lifestyles of our students and staff.
Abbott Issues Voluntary Recall of Certain FreeStyle® and FreeStyle Lite® Blood Glucose Test Strips in the United States.